Picture this: you’re all set for a productive day, your coffee steaming beside your computer. You fire up your favorite application, and bam! A cryptic error message pops up – “VCRUNTIME140 DLL Missing”. It’s like being all dressed up with nowhere to go. This error isn’t just a roadblock; it’s a momentum killer, frustratingly halting your progress.
To fix the “VCRUNTIME140 DLL Missing” error, download and install the latest Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package from the official Microsoft website. Select the version compatible with your system (32-bit or 64-bit). This will replace the missing or corrupted DLL file, resolve the error, and restore your applications.
Why does this happen? The cause? Often, it needs to be a missing or corrupt Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable file. But here’s the good news: this problem to VCRUNTIME140 DLL Missing is fixable. The solution doesn’t require a tech wizard – just a few simple steps. However, for a detailed guide on addressing similar errors, check out our article on fixing the Apex Legends crashing issue.
Table of Contents
Understanding DLL Files And Their Functions
Dynamic Link Libraries (DLLs) are integral to the Windows operating system. Think of them as the backstage crew of a theater production – they work behind the scenes, enabling the smooth functioning of applications. DLLs contain code, data, and resources needed by various programs. However, these libraries allow different applications to share the code and functionalities, optimizing system performance and reducing resource consumption.
So, why do missing or corrupted DLL files lead to errors? When an application launches, it relies on specific DLL files to be present and intact. If a DLL file is missing, it’s like a character missing their cue in a play. Hence, the application can’t perform certain operations or even run, leading to those pesky error messages.
Common Causes Of The VCRUNTIME140 DLL Missing Error
The “VCRUNTIME140 DLL Missing” error can be a curveball in your computing experience. Typically, this error springs up due to a few common culprits:
- Incomplete Installations Or Uninstallations: Sometimes, software installations or uninstallations go differently than planned, leaving behind a trail of missing or corrupted DLL files. Hence, it’s like building a puzzle and finding out some pieces are missing.
- Corrupted Files: This can be due to many reasons, including improper system shutdowns or malware attacks. It’s akin to a script being tampered with, resulting in a garbled performance.
- Malware: Nefarious software can often masquerade as or damage DLL files. It’s like a backstage saboteur manipulating the props (files) needed for the show (applications). To ensure you’re protected against such threats, consider reading about how to remove Win32/Bogent, a common malware that can affect system files.
- Windows Registry Issues: The registry is the director of operations for Windows. Hence, you can expect errors like this to take center stage if it’s in disarray.
- Missing Files From Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 Redistributable: This package contains essential components like the VCRUNTIME140 DLL. Hence, it’s like a crucial crew member being absent on opening night if it’s missing.
Resolving the “VCRUNTIME140 DLL Missing” error often involves reinstating these missing pieces or repairing the disrupted elements, ensuring a seamless performance by your Windows applications.
Step-By-Step Guide To Fix The Error
Fixing the “VCRUNTIME140 DLL Missing” error can be approached through several methods:
Method 1: Repairing Or Removing Microsoft Visual C++ Installation
- Go to ‘Control Panel’ and open ‘Programs and Features’.
- Find Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable in the list as VCRUNTIME140_1.DLL download 64 bit.
- Right-click on it and select ‘Change’. Then, click on ‘Repair’.
- Follow the prompts and restart your device after the process is complete.
Method 2: Using The System File Checker Scan
- Open ‘Command Prompt’ as an administrator.
- Type sfc /scannow and press Enter.
- The system will begin to check and repair corrupted files. Once completed, restart your computer.
Method 3: Reinstalling Visual C++ Redistributable
- Uninstall the current Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable from ‘Programs and Features.’
- Install the new version from the official Microsoft website.
- Follow the on-screen instructions. Restart your computer afterward.
Method 4: Downloading And Manually Replacing The VCRUNTIME140-DLL Missing File
- Download the VCRUNTIME140.dll file from a reliable source as VCRUNTIME140_1.DLL missing.
- Place the file in the application’s directory displaying the error or the C:\Windows\System32 directory.
- Register the DLL file by opening Command Prompt as administrator and typing regsvr32 vcruntime140.dll, then press Enter. If you encounter problems with this method, our guide on fixing the “application unable to start correctly (0xc0000005)” error can offer additional help.
Method 5: Updating Windows 10 To The Latest Release
- Go to ‘Settings’, then ‘Update & Security’.
- Click on ‘Check for updates’.
- Download and install any available updates. Restart your computer after the update.
Additional Solutions And Troubleshooting Tips
Here are additional solutions and tips for resolving the “VCRUNTIME140 DLL Missing” error:
- Install Or Repair Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 Redistributable: Sometimes, the issue can be resolved by repairing or reinstalling Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 Redistributable. This ensures all necessary files, including VCRUNTIME140.dll, are correctly installed.
- Downloading The vcruntime140.dll File: While this is generally not recommended due to security risks, you can install this file from a trusted source as a last resort. Hence, make sure to scan the file for viruses before use as of missing VCRUNTIME140.DLL.
Here are some of the additional tips:
- Check For Malware: Run a full system scan to check for any malware that might have corrupted the DLL file.
- Perform A Clean Boot: This will start Windows with a minimal set of drivers. Hence, there is conflicting software if the error doesn’t appear in a clean boot state.
- Restore Your System: If the error started appearing recently, use System Restore to return to a point before the error started.
- Seek Professional Help: If you’re uncomfortable with these steps or the problem persists, it might be best to seek help from a professional.
By following these methods and additional tips, you can effectively tackle the “VCRUNTIME140 DLL Missing” error and get your applications running smoothly again. Always download files from official or reputable sources to avoid security risks.
See Also: Error 0xc00d36c4 On Windows 10 [Solved]
Protecting Your System From DLL Errors
Preventive measures are crucial to shielding your system from DLL errors. These steps not only help avoid DLL-related problems but also contribute to the overall health of your computer.
- Regular System Updates: Update your operating system. Manufacturers regularly release updates that bring new features, fix bugs, and patch security vulnerabilities. If you’re experiencing issues with updates, such as Windows 10 update error code 0x80240fff, our article offers solutions to resolve these problems.
- Anti-Virus Scans: Run regular antivirus scans. A robust antivirus program can remove malware that might corrupt DLL files or other critical system components.
- Software Management: Install software from reputable sources and keep them updated. However, outdated applications can lead to compatibility issues, resulting in DLL errors.
- Avoiding DLL Downloads: Downloading DLL files online can be risky. Always prefer the official website or a trusted source and ensure the file is scanned for malware if necessary.
- Regular Backups: Regularly back up your system. In case of a severe error, a backup can restore your system to the point before the error occurs.
- Disk Cleanup And Defragmentation: Regularly clean up your disk to remove unnecessary files and defragment your hard drive to keep it running efficiently with VCRUNTIME140.DLL download 64 bit.
What is the vcruntime140.dll error that was not found, and what causes it?
The vcruntime140.dll was not found. The error occurs when the required Dynamic Link Library (DLL) file is missing or corrupted. This usually happens due to incomplete installations, malware, or missing files from Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 Redistributable .
How can I fix the vcruntime140.dll was not found error?
You can fix this error by installing or repairing the Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 Redistributable package. Download it from Microsoft's official website, open the downloaded file, and follow the installation wizard. If the package is already installed, try repairing it instead .
What are the steps to repair the Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 Redistributable?
To repair the Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 Redistributable, go to the Control Panel, select Uninstall a program, find the Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 Redistributable program, right-click it, select Change, and then click Repair .
How do I manually replace the vcruntime140.dll file?
You can download the vcruntime140.dll file from a trusted website like DLL-Files.com. After downloading, extract the file and move it to the application's installation directory, showing the error. This fix is specific to the application with the error and is not a system-wide solution .
Will updating Windows 10 fix the VCRUNTIME140.dll error?
Updating Windows 10 to the latest release has been reported by some users to resolve the VCRUNTIME140.dll error. To edit, go to Settings, click on Update & Security, then select the Updates button .
In conclusion, while common, the “VCRUNTIME140 DLL Missing” error is manageable through the outlined solutions. From repairing or reinstalling the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable to running system checks and updating Windows, these steps provide a comprehensive approach to resolving the error. It’s important to follow these steps methodically for a successful resolution.
Remember, prevention is better than cure; regular system updates and antivirus scans are crucial in safeguarding your system against future DLL errors. Stay vigilant in maintaining your computer’s health, and you can minimize the disruptions caused by such errors. Keep this guide handy, and you’ll be well-equipped to tackle DLL issues should they arise again.
See Also: Destiny 2 Crashing Problem Quick Fixes
Joe Fedewa, a Staff Writer at Automaticable, with nearly a decade of tech journalism experience. Former News Editor at XDA Developers, passionate about technology and DIY projects. Wrote thousands of articles, tutorials, and reviews, starting with Windows Phone coverage.