In this article, we will cover how to deal with the error ‘Device was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match’.
This error message is mostly seen when users update their Windows Operating System (OS) and the other important elements needed for a computer’s functioning. If you see the “Device not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match” message, it means that one or more of your driver’s migration processes has been interrupted or prevented from launching when the system was updating the OS or any other system feature.
If you do not know what “Migration” means on Windows, it refers to the process of moving the drivers on the computer’s previous Windows version to the most recently installed update.
About the Error
There are seamlessly a lot of problems regarding any device’s ecosystems, in Windows some error might occur when you first buy a Windows 10 or above Operating System (OS). This type of problem/error might occur to your systems while you are updating your windows 10 device as well. If you happen to get stuck in such an error, it means that your driver’s migration process or path has been interrupted by the OS due to some problem in your main server. To understand this problem carefully, you should know that the term “Migration” in Windows simply means the update of your driver’s location from the old windows version to the newest windows version via updating, or a new installation process.
Following are some fixes for ‘Device was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match’ error:
- If you have found this error then wait for 4-5 hours to check for another update and update your device.
- Re-install your chipset/mother box.
Computer system are very complex yet simple, the operating system of the windows environment identifies every hardware or every component of the computer system through its unique driver that it has been communicating through. So, by updating or re-installing the chipset drivers you set the drivers to default and which should fix the problem.
- Uninstall/Install the system or updates the problem is telling you to.
- Rush to your nearest service center and ask them to reset your update to the previous windows system.
- Download a system files/folder scanner and scan the problem and fix it accordingly.
- Update the driver for Chipset.
‘Device was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match’ error can be solved by following above mentioned steps.
If you have checked for all the above symptoms and you’re still not able to find any solution to this problem then you should shift to chipset driver settings. In fact, the chipset settings error is the most common issue that people tend to forget or they don’t know about.
To fix this problem open follow the steps:
- Go to your search bar and type Device Manager.
- In Device Manager open update driver
Now hit the system reboot/restart system option that comes after this.
- Check for any other update
‘Device was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match’ error can be solved by following above mentioned steps. After the system restarts, your device will update and that should fix the problem.
See Also: Outlook Error 0x800ccc0e | 6 Best Fixes
Recovering Lost Files
There are many ways to fix the system or recover the lost files. In an instance of losing your files, you should not give up on those lost files.
- Install an application to restore data from your previous drives. There are many such powerful and ambitious applications on the internet that’ll provide you all the help you need.
- After installing one of those apps, you simply have to mention the version of the Windows OS that you updated to and from. Then select the drive you want to recover and it will get the recovery started.
There is another thing you can do, if you’re already aware of this migration problem and you have to update your windows, then shift your data to OneDrive.
Shift all your needed files in there, log out of the system and then update your system. Once installed you can log in to the OneDrive and fetch all the files where they belong.
To sum up, this post has introduced 3 ways to fix the issue. If you encounter the same issue, try these solutions.
Now you know how to deal with the ‘Device was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match’ error. Did we miss anything? Let us know in the comments below!