This problem frequently appears when you upgrade to Windows 10 or 11 on a PC. This problem indicates that you can’t keep windows settings personal files and apps unsupported directory while upgrading.
There are a few causes for the problem, one of which is that you selected to install Windows in a language other than the one you are now using.
If you are trying to install an earlier version of Windows or a version that is not the same as the one you are now using, these two possibilities are also probable causes of the problem. The current version of Windows may be installed in an unsupported folder. Similar to this error, are you also unable to detect Bluetooth on your devices? Refer to this article for this issue and get it resolved.
The problem can be resolved.
See Also: Fix Print Screen Button Not Working On Windows 10 | 10 Easy Ways
- 1 Methods To Fix The Error: You Can’t Keep Windows Settings Personal Files And Apps Unsupported Directory
- 1.1 PC Repair Tool
- 1.2 Verify Your System’s Language
- 1.3 Drivers Update
- 1.4 Modify The System Locale Through The Control Panel
- 1.5 Download The Version Of Windows 10 OS
- 1.6 Get Rid Of Harmful Programs
- 1.7 Eliminate Any Extra Languages Other Than English
- 1.8 Turn Off Or Remove The Antivirus Software
- 1.9 Use Registry Editor
- 1.10 Move The User Account Folder To A Different Place
- 1.11 Alter Your Edition Or Product Key
- 2 Conclusion
Methods To Fix The Error: You Can’t Keep Windows Settings Personal Files And Apps Unsupported Directory
Let’s find the solution.
PC Repair Tool
The “PC Repair Tool” is a simple and fast way to locate and repair BSOD errors, DLL errors, EXE errors, issues with programs or apps, malware or virus infections in the computer, and other system issues with only a few clicks.
Verify Your System’s Language
To verify the system’s language, if you can’t keep Windows settings, personal files, and apps unsupported directory., follow these steps:
- Type “cmd” into the Windows Search Box and press “SHIFT + ENTER” on the keyboard to launch “Command Prompt as administrator.”
- Enter the ‘Enter’ key after typing the following commands to run them- DISM /online /get-intl
- You should see your operating system language in the “Default System UI” column.
- Connect a bootable USB drive to Windows 10 and start your computer from it.
- Select “Repair” and then “Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt”, type “DISM /image:C: /set-uilang:en-US” in the Command Prompt, then press the Enter key to run it.
- After doing this, your system language will be changed to en-US so that you can continue using your existing files after upgrading to Windows 10.
See Also: How To Fix Origin Error Code 9.0? [Solved]
To update the drivers if you can’t keep Windows settings personal files and apps unsupported directory, follow these steps:
- Open your system’s “Device Manager” using the Windows Search Box. Expand the “Display Adapters” category.
- Locate your display driver.
- Right-click on it.
- Choose “Update Driver.”
- Follow the on-screen prompts to complete upgrades.
- To upgrade all other required drivers, use the same procedure. Restart your computer after the update to see if the problem has been fixed.
See also: How to Fix The Error ” Windows 10 Sleeps After 1 Minute”
Modify The System Locale Through The Control Panel
To modify the system locale through control when you can’t keep Windows settings personal files and apps unsupported directory, follow these steps:
- Go to “Region” in the Windows PC’s Control Panel after opening it.
- Click “Change System Locale” on the “Administrative” tab.
- Change the “Current System Locale” setting to “English (United States).”
- Click “Ok” to save the changes.
- After finishing, restart your computer to see if the problem has been fixed.
Download The Version Of Windows 10 OS
Downloading the version of the Windows 10 OS that corresponds with your System language is one potential solution to the problem.
To achieve this, download the “Media Creation Tool” from the Microsoft website, select your preferred language from the list, and then run the Windows 10 update on your PC.
See also: How To Repair Windows Installer | 5 Easy Fixes
Get Rid Of Harmful Programs
This situation may have been brought on by the interference of some unreliable computer programs. Due to these harmful programs, it might happen that your windows become very slow or your Google Chrome also doesn’t work. Keep checking for those harmful programs, and avoid getting any problem in your system.
Using “Control Panel > Uninstall a Program > Programs & Features,” you can remove any troublesome software from your computer.
Eliminate Any Extra Languages Other Than English
Suppose you cannot keep your files from a prior version of Windows. You could try deleting any other installed languages before installing Windows 10 to see if it runs successfully.
See Also: How to Fix The Directory Name Is Invalid in Windows 10
Turn Off Or Remove The Antivirus Software
An antivirus or firewall program may have interfered when trying to resolve the problem.
You can try uninstalling your antivirus program from the computer to see if it resolves the problem. Similar to this antivirus program, antimalware services can be on your computer. Look for them as well, and resolve the issue.
Use Registry Editor
By using registry editor also, if you can’t keep Windows settings personal files and apps unsupported directory, you could get it resolved by following these steps:
- Using the Windows Search Box, locate the “Registry Editor” app on your Windows PC and follow the on-screen directions- Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion Path
- Locate ProgramFilesDir, then Program FilesDir (x86), then ProgramFilesPath, and then ProgramW6432Dir. Verify the string values in the data. If you moved the program files folder, the value shield would read “X: Program Files” instead. Open each of these strings and replace the drive letter with the “C:” drive to resolve the problem.
Move The User Account Folder To A Different Place
Altering the location of the user account folder on your computer is another potential solution. You can relocate your user profile folder to the computer’s C: users folder and see if it helps. Also, you cannot delete the windows setup files with this moving move? Refer to this guide and look for methods to resolve it.
See Also: Steam Not Recognizing Installed Game Error? | (4 EASY FIXES)
Alter Your Edition Or Product Key
You can also alter your edition or the Windows product key when you can’t keep Windows settings, personal files, and apps unsupported directory. For it, follow these steps:
- Launch the Settings application on your Windows computer.
- Navigate to System> About and choose “Change product key or upgrade your edition of Windows.”
- Input the product key for the Windows version you are upgrading to.
- Then, click “Change product key.”
- Click OK
Thus, if you can’t keep Windows settings, personal files, and apps unsupported directory, refer to these methods and resolve them easily.
See Also: Windows 10 Will Not Update with Error Code 0x80240fff
Joe Fedewa is a Staff Writer at Automaticable. He has close to a decade of experience covering consumer technology and previously worked as a News Editor at XDA Developers. Joe loves all things technology and is also an avid DIYer at heart. He has written thousands of articles, hundreds of tutorials, and dozens of reviews. Joe got his start in the industry covering Windows Phone on a small blog.