6YJN As the technology is updating at a good pace, the errors complimentary to them also arises. One such error is with the new update of Windows OS, where the users are unable to update their system because of the error 0x80240023 . The users can either not search for the updates or face problems while installing the same.
This problem could arise from the following:
- Windows File System
- Windows Registry
- File Corruption
- Virus and Malware
- Windows Update Service
- Internet Connection Access
Table of Contents
Reasons For 0x80240023 Error
The cause of the error 0x80240023 could be WU_E_EULAS_DECLINED, which basically means that the update had their license terms declined. One or multiple updates might have this problem, which further leads to problems while installing the update. Whenever installing an update, the license terms need to be set to accept. The reasons for such 0x80240023 error could also be:
- If not install Microsoft Office File Validation Add-in for Office 2007.
- If the previous error update was not proper then several issues might emerge.
- 0x80240023 error could also arise due to system files on the system.
- The 0x80240023 error could be solved by eight methods:
- Clear Windows Update Cache
- Run SFC Utility
- Clean Windows Update download path
- Set proper date & time
- Run Windows Troubleshooter
- Check Windows Activation
- Install the failing update and the Microsoft Office File Validation Add-in manually
- Restrict the installation of the Microsoft Office Validation Add-in for Office 2007
Easy Fixes For The Error
Let us discuss each of the methods in detail and in a step-by-step process.
Clear Windows Update Cache
Stop the Windows Update Service by
- Initially, type ‘services. msc’ in the run prompt and press enter, which will open a new window containing all the Windows services.
- Search for ‘Windows Update’ then, after this, do a right-click and then stop.
Clear the Windows Update temporary cache folder by:
- Type ‘%windir%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore’ in the run prompt and press ‘Ok’.
- After the Windows Explorer opens in the correct location, delete all the contents of the folder.
Begin the Windows Update Service again by repeating Step 1 but instead of ‘Stop’ at last, click ‘Start’.
Run SFC Utility
If the problem isn’t solved, we can run the Systems File Checker (SFC), which checks the filesystem. This could be performed by:
- Click Start and search ‘cmd’, which should show a black icon.
- Right-click on that black icon and Run as administrator.
- If it ask admin password , enter the admin password, and after which a new black window will open.
- In this window, type commands directly; now type ‘sfc/scannow’ and click Enter.
- This process might take a long time. As soon as the process finishes, restart the computer and then search for the updates again.
Clean Windows Update Download Path
Follow these steps to rectify the issue.
- Type ‘regedit’ in Run and press Enter.
- The new window will have a navigation on the left side; use this to navigate to ‘HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate’.
- Then search for ‘WUServer’ and ‘WIStatusServer’, and if they are not in the list then it is impossible to clean the download path. Otherwise, delete both.
- Restart the system.
Set Proper Date & Time
On the off chance that the date and time are not set as the expectation in the system, then 0x80240023 errors could arise. This can be fixed by:
- Open Start Menu
- Go to Settings
- Click on ‘Time and Language’
- Check if the date, time, and time zone are correct or not
- If they are incorrect, click on ‘additional date, time, and regional settings.
- Then go to ‘Set the date and time’ and then ‘Change the date and time’
- Enter the proper date and time and restart the system
Run Windows Troubleshooter
A troubleshooter is useful to solve many errors and issues in the system. Follow the below steps to troubleshoot your device successfully.
- Click Start and go to settings
- Go to Update & Security
- Click on troubleshoot on the left-hand side and then press windows to update and run the troubleshooter
- This will now check the system, and when prompted, click ‘Apply this fix’ and then restart the menu
Check Out: DNS Error 80710102 | Simple Ways To Solve
Check Windows Activation
If the Windows has not activates, this can also give rise to a 0x80240023 error. To verify the activation, follow these steps:
- Press Start and go to Settings
- Then go to Update and Security
- Then click on Activation
- If Windows is activates, then there will be a message on the screen displaying the message that Windows is activated
- If it not activate, then press ‘Change product key’ and enter the product key and press Ok
- Run Windows updates again
Install The Failing Update
Try to install the failed updates again and update your device successfully.
- Run Windows updates again
- Check the KB number of the update.
- Install the status, and then the error 0x8024000b should be displayed (Operation was cancelled or WARNING: Exit code = 0x8024000B)
- And then go to Microsoft update catalogue, here enter the KB number in the search bar and download the update
- Then run the update
- Restart the system after the installation of the update.
To install the Microsoft Office File Validation Add-in, follow these steps:
- Navigate to ‘C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution’ after opening the Windows Explorer.
- Write ‘OFV.CAB’ in the search bar and click Enter
- Then copy the file to your computer
- Navigate to the location where the OFV.CAB file was copied and extract its contents
- Double click the OFV.msi file to install the Microsoft Office File Validation Add-in for Office 2007
- Ask ‘Yes’ at the ‘User Account Control’.
- And then go to Windows Update and press ‘Retry’.
- If the installation is successful, delete the OFV.CAB and the OFV.MSI files
Restrict The Installation
Few automatic installations can cause problems with your device. Restrict those installations through the below steps.
- Download and save the ‘Show or hide updates’ tool on the computer
- Then run the tool and select next
- Then choose ‘Hide updates’
- Then select Microsoft Office File Validation Add-in for Office 2007 and click next
- The troubleshooter will apply the appropriate changes and then click ‘Close’.
- And then finally, go to Windows Updates option and click ‘Check for updates’.
Windows updates are very necessary for the smooth functioning of the device. But unfortunately, there are update errors that hinder the process. Hoping that in this article you have learned to fix the Windows OS 0x80240023 Update error.
Tony, computing writer at Automaticable, covers laptops, tablets, Windows, iOS. Off-duty, he indulges in comics, gaming, speculative fiction, and excessive Twitter use. Non-nerdy side includes rocking out at concerts and hitting NYC bars.